On June 24th. Caramoan. The Secret of Shores

 

Caramoan. The Secret of the  Shores

 

Charms of shells hummed in my grandmother’s house.

Sacks of rice tucked under the bedroom altar

It was getting dark and we’re closing Farmacia Luz

 

The drawer was full of coins.  We were off to church for

an amateur contest because I will sing “I Believe.”

I will try singing soprano.  Then once in my life and in

 

that old church the notes reverberated in the vast grounds.

I thought I’ve summoned the spirits; the townspeople gazing at me,

 and how I did it, was by the grace of St. Michael, the archangel.

 

The professor says, “That’s a forbidden place because the locals

are even away from elegance, nothing ever captures the senses. 

You have to survive the sea or mountains for hours and reach the

 

 

 

destination dead beat. Mermaids, cats that fly, you can imagine

fairies, thunderbirds or mythic of the new age in the giant cliffs

and waters. 

 

There is a mystery around the shores here. 

 

When the boats start to row the ripples one after another brush

the blue ocean and in the winds flight, the sky bright and beautiful

turn the world.  “Do not trespass,” or...

 

Perhaps, I think, this can be a risen Atlantis, a virgin paradise

of meek peoples, arising from the remnants of the past, growing,

flourishing in the modern times and of the future

 

Whence from this place were seeds in many dawns, far, farthest

from here, one with waters that fostered, their old houses and

 the red bricks of St. Michael’s church.

 

Rice and camote, our staple food and the fisherman, like St. Peter,

cast their nets full of fish. Loud speakers from the church inspire rising

workers alongside each other, neighbors not wanting anything, but the peace

 

and lightness of the place we all called home; because in this small place

we were all family, I am a grandchild of the first mayor, and I am proud

to be one with the kindness of the peoples

 

 

There is no hunt, but don’t be a blabbermouth!

In the caves and deep waters are nymphs who listen to 

stories and pleas of our longing and needs

 

The boatmen are the rock stars; their bodies dark, neat and well-chiseled,

 calm at sea. You can feel the blood flowing in their veins

they held you with, crossing waters to the shore

 

When I was a young girl, I did not notice the drama of their work,

but from the boat to shore, they carried you on their backs or shoulders,

they would never falter nor blink for long.  In their humble work,

 

they are superheroes. My uncle gave Manoy a pair of dazzling sunglasses. 

Manoy wore it proudly.  And that is why we all come back to the

mountains, to the islands, to our homes because

 

when our eyes meet, we don’t speak a language.  We wear nothing,

but smiles and the secret happiness we all keep in our hearts. 

My grandmother, with all her sophistication and spunk never ever

 

faltered to pray to Ina, instilling a bequest of joy -  transparent and

glowing where we roam around, casting our nets for the entire

universe and all our relations.  Mabalos to Padre de la Cruz who

 

 proclaimed me a third prize winner, Then I know why, I believe!

 

“Ina hare mo kami pagpabayaan huli ta kami sa imong aki.”


/rosalinda flores. rosevoc

a poem. Spirit of A Place

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Comments